Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Well we had a strange ticking noise, that sounded like

Customer Question
Well we had a...

Well we had a strange ticking noise, that sounded like something gave way, went from a knock , we changed the timing belt and all the pulleys and the water pump...did a cold compression test and I had 145 and 140 on drivers side and 125 and 125 on the passenger side

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

This is a brand new timing belt

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2004 impreza wrx with a 2.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, changed the belt and all the pulleys, and water pump, had a hard time getting driver side cams to line up always went about 1/2 tooth off...finally got it timed but has this loud tick,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has about 75,000 miles

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/15/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

The EJ engines are prone to rod bearing failure.

Do you think the noise is from the passenger's head or the middle?

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary