Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My car's engine's light on, also it can be shutting down…

Customer Question
Hi, my car's engine's...

Hi, my car's engine's light on, also it can be shutting down while driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Well, all I know is engine light.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

I'll find out more info and come back, thank you!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hi, I have 2010 Lincoln sedan 8 cylinder at almost 1hundred thousand miles, however the check engine light is on, it could shot down on itself any time while you are driving and often. If you pull over and turn off the car it would start and keep going. What the problem could be? We sent the car to few small shops but could not get it diagnosed, the dealer would be our last choice since they charge too much.

Mechanic's Assistant: Welcome! What's going on with your Subaru?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?

No way we can fix on our own. We have changed spark plug, cleaned up fuel injector.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Does it shut off at highway speeds or on stops? Like at a red light?

it does on highway but not necessary on stops, it shut off on local drive even make turn.

oK, Thank you for the additional information.

It would seem the shops would be able to help with the diagnostic code. The check engine light does indicate there could be a place to start looking for the issue.

Usually this type of problem is the result of the cam or crank sensor failing. This will cause the engine to shut down. most of the time this will happen when the engine is up to operating temp, but not always.

If you have an Autozone nearby and can get to it, most will scan it for you at no charge. This can give us a good place to start. If you would like to get the code, then post it here with me, I can give you a much more detailed answer. From here it seems like the cam or crank sensor is the likely culprit.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

We had code first, the shop did fix, but the problem still there, the shop had 2nd diagnose it gave us a different code

Can you possibly give me the code? It should start with a P

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician