Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

It wont start, Thoughtful. But yes i have checked. It has…

Customer Question
It wont start Mechanic's...

It wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Thoughtful . But yes i have checked. It has been acting up lately. Problem started when engine was up to temp then turned off. when i went to restart it acted vapor locked.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

2006 Forester XT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it myself. I tried replacing the fuel filter. The pump seems to be working fine. It's not throwing aany codes.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. have you check for spark, are there any codes, have you try spraying choke cleaner using a vacuum hose port in to the intake , this will replace the fuel and start if you are having fuel pump or fuel injector signal.

Ricardo. There is Spark! It's not throwing any codes. I have not sprayed choke cleaner. But it isn't acting fuel starved. I can hear the pump prime. And even when I let it prime 10 times in a row without starting it....then when I do try and start it wont. The problem started with it initially starting and then choking.

OK, you may have fuel pressure but no injection this can be check by adding fuel to the intake, can you try this and let me know if it starts?

if it doesn't then we need to make sure the timing belt has not jump timing that will be the next step.

Adding fuel to the intake did not start the car. How do I check the timing belt has not jumped timing?

there are 2 ways to check timing belt one is do a compression test see if is low this will confirm the cam not been align to the crank or you can take the front cover off and align the cam sprockets see if it aligns if it does not then yes the timing belt jump timing

does the engine cranks fast, faster then it normally did?

Before I went to check the timing belt. I tried opening and then re-closing the gas cap. The car started right up! Now I'm trying to get it to repeat the "no start" so I can try the gas cap again to see if it was a fluke.
Got the car to repeat the "no start" tried the gas cap again. Didn't work this time. Car still wont start.

OK if the engine started then is definitely not a timing belt problem this is more like vapor lock

that's why doing a fuel pressure test will be good at this point when is not starting

Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.