Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I have (I'm pretty sure) an aftermarket alarm in my 1999

Customer Question

I have (I'm pretty sure) an aftermarket alarm in my 1999 Subaru Forester. I unlocked it and opened the door, and the alarm went off. It has never done this before.
I tried turning the key in the ignition and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery with the key in the ignition, and the alarm still went off. I don't know what brand of alarm system it is, nor do I have a manual. I don't know how to find out the brand either.
I have no fob connected. I bought one when I bought the car used, but I could never figure out how to pair it with the system.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

I do need a little more info on your car tho, do the park lights flash and is it the horn in the car that is going off or a add in horn? these cars are equipped with a factory alarm, and I can help you get it switched off it is it.

I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.

Thanks

Sonny

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe it is an add in horn.

gotcha, if that is the case, you will have to remove the alarm system completely from the car. do the lights flash and will the car start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car will not start, the headlights do not flash; just the dash lights.

the park lights beside the headlight, do they flash at all? and which dash lights flash?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know if the park lights flash. On the dash, the speedometer and tachometer lights flash. Most of the others as well.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I remove the alarm?

you will need to find the brain box under the dash and remove it and then splice the large wires back together. But since it is not the factory alarm, I will opt out and see if anyone else can help you. I am sorry