Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Subaru legacy 2.5l wagon, with a automatic…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Subaru legacy 2.5l wagon, with a automatic transmission. The AWD, Cruise control, oil temp, and check engine lights are on. The tachometer doesn't work. The car has a low idle, it shifts a little hard taking off. After so many miles the tachometer will start working and runs great. I've check all grounds, checked wire connections all so the fuses and relays. The last set of codes it had where P0851and the other code was P1518. the was a speed sensor low input circuit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

They blink.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Checked wire connections, fuses and relays, and ground wires. even speed sensors for the abs brakes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes replaced the crank sensor.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 9 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo Find and disconnect the Green D-Check special mode test connectors, 2 cavity green connectors just left of the steering column. They are normally unplugged. When connected together, it causes the PCM to go into output cycling KOEO and D-Check engine running.

You sure there by the steering wheel, not on the passenger side under the glove box. Then what do I do?

is on the left side of the steering just leave it disconnected this plug should not be left connected, then disconnect the battery terminal for 3 minutes

There is no green cavity filled connector on the left side of the sterling wheel. There is on the passenger side under the glove box.

ok depending on production dates this location may change did you disconnect it?

It wasn't connected

ok po851 and p1518 relates to this conector been connected or the wires shorted at the same connector under the glove box check the Orange/Blue wire at the test mode connectors for voltage, this should have a reference voltage from the Engine Control Module (ECM) pin B19. If there is none, check for a short to ground between the test mode connector and the ECM, and the ECM and pin 14 Orange at the Data Link Connector (DLC).

2. Remove this wire from pin B19 of the ECM and clear the codes to see if that fixes it.

There's voltage with the connector orange blue
I ran a OBD to see if there where any new codes. It brought up code P0700 (transmission control system.) It also brought up code P0506 (idle air control system RPM lower-than-expected)

Hi good morning where this codes in addition to the previous codes?

The original codes po851 and p1518 we're not on the OBD reader this time. The only codes that came where PO700 & PO506.

OK PO700 this code only lets you know there are transmission codes stored on your TCM

let me look up po506.

How do I retrieve those codes that are on the TCM and then what can be done.

PO506 is just a throttle idle circuit to low you need to clean the throttle body.

2. Perform the adaptive idle memory. Reset the adaptive values by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, touch it to the positive battery terminal, then leave the negative cable disconnected for about 15 minutes, and reconnect the negative cable.

you will still have PO700 this means you need to access the transmission controller. with a scanner but you can not use a code scanner you need a more advance scanner like snap on Modes you will need to have it scan by a repair shop that has one they will usually scan the codes at no cost to you.

check your transmission fluid also. Low transmission fluid may cause the torque converter to drag after braking hard and stall

Ok thx. I'll have that done, and let you know what turns up.

very good, talk to you then thank you.

Hello Ricardo, I got it scanned, besides the PO700 code it came up with PO750. It said a open or short in the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) circuit communication error between the engine control module (TCM) Failed crankshaft position sensor (CKP) He also ran on board testing which came up all ok. The crankshaft sensor was replaced a few weeks ago. The AWD, sport and oil engine temp. light all come on at the same time and off at the same time. When the tachometer stop's working they come on when start's to work they go off. So is there a break in the wire from the crankshaft sensor to the TCM or is the sensor bad again or is the TCM bad. Or does the transmission Fluid need to be changed.
Ok it seems like you may have a circuit problem maybe an open signal wire shorting out let me get back to my job in approximately 1 hour and open up a wire schematic to see what needs to be done ok
Ok thank you.

I looked up this codes and P0750 does not exist on this vehicle are you sure You have the right code?

do i have the right year and model is it turbo 2.5

No it's not a turbo. It's a 2006 Subaru legacy wagon, 2.5l automatic. OTB

OK let me look it up again

this code is not related to a crank sensor this code is for shift solenoid "A" shorted this controls your transmission up shift.

sorry but i can't come up with the right diagnostic this code does not relate to the problem you have therefore let me let another expert come in and help OK.

Ok thank you,
Subaru Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 9 months ago
eric remington

I can help but I think a phone call at this point would be best