Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

The other day I awoke to find that my car (2001 Subaru

Customer Question
Hi! So the other...

Hi! So the other day I awoke to find that my car (2001 Subaru Outback) was not starting. No electronics on whatsoever, just dead. So I jumped the car, let it sit for a bit, and it ran fine the rest of the day, I figured I must've just left something on inside the car and killed the battery. However, I had the same problem the next morning. So I assume it's time for a new battery, and I go get a new one. After installing the new battery, the car starts right away, but random lights turn on and off periodically on my dashboard and my headlights no longer work (which I just replaced about a month ago). Even worse, the next day the car still did not start and once again had no electronics working. So I am wondering what the problem is, is my alternator shot? Could this be a fuse problem? Thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

How would I go about checking the fuses? I am really bad with cars haha

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Outback?

It's a 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far I have just replaced the battery, which ended up not being the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yeah that the e-brake light and battery light had also been turning on and off sporadically for about a week prior to any of these problems starting

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 11 months ago
Thomas Ragusa

Hello, my name is***** am a certified automotive technician. I would like to help you out today. This sounds like what they call a parasitic draw on the battery. Something is keeping the vehicle "awake" when not in use. in order to track down the draw you will need some special tools such as a test like and a multimeter that can test amperage. and you will need some knowledge of electrical circuitry.