Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

The other day I awoke to find that my car (2001 Subaru

Customer Question

Hi! So the other day I awoke to find that my car (2001 Subaru Outback) was not starting. No electronics on whatsoever, just dead. So I jumped the car, let it sit for a bit, and it ran fine the rest of the day, I figured I must've just left something on inside the car and killed the battery. However, I had the same problem the next morning. So I assume it's time for a new battery, and I go get a new one. After installing the new battery, the car starts right away, but random lights turn on and off periodically on my dashboard and my headlights no longer work (which I just replaced about a month ago). Even worse, the next day the car still did not start and once again had no electronics working. So I am wondering what the problem is, is my alternator shot? Could this be a fuse problem? Thanks!
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: How would I go about checking the fuses? I am really bad with cars haha
JA: What year is your Outback?
Customer: It's a 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far I have just replaced the battery, which ended up not being the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah that the e-brake light and battery light had also been turning on and off sporadically for about a week prior to any of these problems starting
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Thomas Ragusa replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified automotive technician. I would like to help you out today. This sounds like what they call a parasitic draw on the battery. Something is keeping the vehicle "awake" when not in use. in order to track down the draw you will need some special tools such as a test like and a multimeter that can test amperage. and you will need some knowledge of electrical circuitry.