Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

1999 legacy gt battery problem? My wife has been stuck twice…

1999 legacy gt battery problem? My...
1999 legacy gt battery problem?
My wife has been stuck twice in this car for not starting and needing a jump. Today she called roadside assistance and the guy jumped the car. he says the battery is good but not getting power? Not sure if that is correct? The only thing she said she did was idling a long time with ac running while waiting for kids to come out of classes. She moved the car and turned it off then it won't start. After driving it 30 minutes home, I started it about 10 times with no problems. The battery is 2/15 stamped, so 2and 1/2 years old.
9/11/2017
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

When it does not start does it click or anything? any accesory power?

good question. she told me it does 2 wumm wumm sounds and stops. Not the clicking type sound

have you experienced it?

nope. I don't drive that car much. the only other thing she said is that it happened after she was sitting and idling for awhile. there are no warning lights on now
the first time it happened to her, I found that the battery cables were VERY loose. So, just tightened them up and no problems for a few moths until now.

any corrosion on the cables

nope. they look pretty good. last time I cleaned them real good and tightened it all up

did you check the starter end?

I just now checked voltage at 12.6 while not started, then 12.9 while idling. Also, headlights get brighter with higher rpms while in park. Alternator belts are good and not loose. Not sure how to check the starter end?

with loads on does the charging out put increase?

can you give me an example of loads on? for checkiing

head lights , blower fan radio wipers

ok, so its like 12.9 with no loads, and 12.3 with ac blowing, wipers and headlights

thats a bad alternator..should be putting out 14 plus volts

john -aka eauto
Yep. already replaced it on Monday.