sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

Similar to a previous owners question, I drained the

Customer Question

Similar to a previous owners question, I drained the transmission fluid instead of the engine oil in my Subaru forester pzev. I can't find the fill plug, and what fluid is recommended?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Subaru Forester. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Just 'Help!'
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

What year?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2017
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

2.0 or 2.5 engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where can I find that info.?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

The 8th digit of the vin #, give it to me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
c
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, I think that is a CVT transmission and my repair manual has no info at all of that.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The transmission is filled from a plug on the front of the transmission case. With the cover from under the trans removed you will see a hex plug on the front of the trans, up a couple inches from the pan rail. The trans can be filled through this hole.

Transmission temperature needs to be monitored with a scan tool when filling the trans. With trans temperature between 95-113 degrees the fuild is filled until it comes from the fill hole. It will need to be filled, started and cycled through the gears and then topped off again while the engine is running and monitoring fluid temperature. This trans requires Subaru CVT Fluid Lineartronic II, total capacity for a dry trans is 12.6 quarts.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!