Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

2006 Subaru tribecca 3.0L runs hot when under stress (like…

Customer Question
2006 Subaru tribecca 3.0L runs...
2006 Subaru tribecca 3.0L runs hot when under stress (like going up a hill). runs at idle and normal driving without an problem. New thermostat, head gaskets, all oem. Fans do come on. Possible cause?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
9/7/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Ok

The only thing I can think of that may cause this would be air in the cooling system. Especially with all the work that has been done. Get the front of the car up on ramps and then run it at high rpms until you get heat out of the heater. Turn it off and add some coolant to the radiator. If you have a spill proof funnel this works best. Air gets trapped in the heater core on these so they have to be bled like this. Do this a couple time or until you have good heat at idle.

That usually indicates the air is gone.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

No air in the cooling system

hm, ok, that's all I have so I will open this back up to the other experts.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Subaru Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you have a radiator issue. If the engine runs normal temperature until under heavier load that is indicative of the radiator being restricted and not being able to keep up with demand. When cores become restricted it effectively reduces the size of the radiator, lowering it's efficiency and heat transfer capability, so it won't keep up when the engine is producing more heat under load. If the system is staying full and it only overheats under load then I would recommend replacing the radiator.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Radiator may be new, I will check and get back to you Monday

Ok.

Radiator is new also

What was the part number?

I ordered it from performance radiator, why, should it be OEM?
All other part used were oem except the radiator

You can try replacing the water pump if you believe you've ruled out the rest of the cooling system.

Water pump is new, oem

Is there any other necessary information that was omitted when the question was posted?

To recap: new tstat, radiator and cap, cylinder heads machined new gaskets installed, new water pump, new spark plugs. Problem started with overheating, head gaskets breached as a result

Can you get the part number for the radiator?

In the morning, yes

Ok.

2379 part number from performance radiator

I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

ok

How is the cooling system being bled?

I will check tomorrow morning

Ok.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician