Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I am having trouble accelerating past 4k rpms which is when

it starts making boost. Just...
I am having trouble accelerating past 4k rpms which is when it starts making boost. Just reolaced crank position sensor and cleared code and it hasnt come back. But when i start making boost around 4k rpm it sounds like it is getting overloaded with fuel and sputters and stops climbing in rpms. Wondering if this is my tune causing this? It just drove great yesterday and this morning couldnt make any power
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: No stalling, sputters when it starts making boost
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2003 subaru wrx impreza
JA: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just bought the car on Friday night and it has quite a bit of aftermarket and I dont have tuning software to do it myself but have car knowledge so I did the sensor myself and thats all I have done
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Has vr34 turbo, pink sti injectors, turboxs txs-005 engine management piggy back system, high pressure fuel pump.
8/22/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Any current fault codes for IAT, MAP or Turbo Boost sensor

No, no fault codes as of right now. Just cleared faults about an hour ago and drove 30 miles and they didnt come back. Main code was p0335 for crank pos sensor malfunction. Watched pids on scanner and sensor went active when cranking and stayed solid at idle. It threw misfire cyl 1 3 and 4 and those didnt come back either.
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

I would have the piggyback removed, and the ECM flashtuned with Ecutek software.

How much boost do you run now?

Are you using factory or aftermarket boost controller?

What exhaust system?

What intercooler?

Gary

Like I said earlier I just bought the car so still figuring everything out I bought it from a dealer who knew almost everything about it just not quite. Exhaust system is aftermarket not sure what kind but it still has the catalytic converter on it which I think ia flooded because the car smells very rich. Hyperflow intercooler, I believe boost controller is aftermarket and from what he told me, it should be boosting up to 20 psi how much does a flashtune cost and what should I use if I want to tune the car myself? What ecu and software?

I wouldn't run 20 psi for too long, unless the engine has been rebuilt to handle it.

I run a safe tune of 18 psi with my factory ECM flashed with Ecutek software.

If you google wrx flashtuners in your area, and then visit them.

The whole combo sounds like it needs a dyno tune with airfuel ratios set up a fraction leaner in a few areas.

I would also get the uppipe replaced as catless.

The factory uppipe is a restriction.

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

You could also try here if it is local to you:

https://tougetuning.com/

A Cobb tuning flashtuner might be easier for you.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/subaru-accessport-v3-ap3-sub-001

Wish you well to go fast safely.

Gary

Thanks for the insight Gary is there any way I can request to talk to you when and if I need help again?

If you need further help with a new question, you can request me by expert username "Holdentech".

I'm on here everyday, and I keep an eye out for questions like yours.

Gary

Will do. Thanks again Gary

You're welcome.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician