Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

Check engine traction control and cruise control are all on.

Check engine traction control and...
Check engine traction control and cruise control are all on
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: Yes all it reads is that bank one is misfiring
JA: Great. If you share the code with me, I'll pass it along to the Subaru Mechanic. He'll be able to diagnose your issue much faster with a code. What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2012 forester
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Error code P0420 And yes I can see if i can fix it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The SUV did loose all power five days ago on the Freeway and i had to pull over. i turned it off for ten min and turned it back on like nothing had happened
8/21/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

The P0420 code is for a bad catalytic converter. Do you have any misfire codes or just this one code?

Just this one code

Ok, this code shouldn't be causing what happened UNLESS the catalytic converter is broken apart inside. If it is, then it can block the exhaust and cause the running issue. The cruise control light being on at the same time is normal with these. Subaru has this as a safety feature in case there is a problem with the electronic throttle body.

If you have under 80,000 miles on this car, this converter is covered under warranty by Subaru and they will have to replace it free. If you're over, then i would remove it and check the substrate and make sure it's not broken.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Thank you for the information I will take it up to the dealership and have them take a look at it. It is under the 80k so I don't see that being an issue .

Thank you for the rating! I know they will do some testing and scans for the code, so make sure not to clear it before you go.

thanks again!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician