Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I mistakingly drained my CVT fluid (approx. 5.5 qts) from

2013 Crosstrek. Want to...
I mistakingly drained my CVT fluid (approx. 5.5 qts) from 2013 Crosstrek. Want to make sure the fill plug is the 10mm hex plug on the drivers side to the front and above the CVT fluid pan.
JA: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it?
Customer: I was going for the oil but removed the wrong plug. (bottom of flat rectangular pan). It is light to dark brown consistency like thin motor oil. (87,000 miles)
JA: What is the model of your '13 Subaru?
Customer: Crosstrek XV
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes doing it myself. I ordered 6 quarts of Subaru CVT and have a pump. have loosened the plug I believed was the fill plug. Fluid on fill plug looks like what I drained but wanted to double check before I proceed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just a confirmation would be great
8/19/2017
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The plug you are describing dose sound like the correct fill plug. See the link below to verify.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/filler%20plug%20Aug%2019.pdf

That diagram image is not completely clear. I believe I am right but is there another 10 mm hex plug that I might confuse? I want to confirm before I start replacing fluid. My plan is to replace just as much new fluid as I drained out.

The is only one fill plug and one drain plug and from your description Im fairly certain you have the correct location. See the complete steps in the link below, take a look at steps 1 through 4 , that should clear this up for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/CVT%20fill%20Aug%2019.pdf

Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you. I think that does it.
Ronnie
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician