Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I just took apart my clutch Assembly on 2006 Legacy 2,0R.

I just took apart...

I just took apart my clutch Assembly on 2006 Legacy 2,0R. There is a squeeling sound from the clutch housing. Found out my clutch is ok, but there is about 1 cm play between the flywheel housing and the clutch pressure surface on the two mass flywheel.. The sound comes when i move the two parts. I don't have a New flywheel, so I'm wondering how mutch play there can be, and what is the risk of the flywheel braking down all together? To get rid of the sound I can apply some tflon grease in the joint.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No. Everything seems fine, only the irritating squeeling.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. i have only just dismenteled the clutch and flywheel. As I said, the noise comes when i move the preeure plate in the flywheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, the only question I have is if the flywheel is ligtly to brake down all together With the play between the two parts.

8/19/2017
George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

You will need to replace the flywheel at some point but if you can live with the clunk until you can get one you can run this one. It will not come apart it will just be noisy. Drive lightly, the dual mass is to keep the driveline shock off the crankshaft

Ok: Thanks! :-)

Glad to help. If you have further questions please let me know. If nothing further please complete the rating

Thank you

George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician