Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Got in my 2002 subaru impreza stick this morning and it is…

Customer Question
Got in my 2002...

Got in my 2002 subaru impreza stick this morning and it is stuck in first and will not move

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?

Driving it in first to see if it will loosen and move

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Just so I am clear here, you can't get it out of first gear even if it's not running? BUT the car won't move either if you let out the clutch?

I can drive it in first. I just cant change gears it is loacked

Ok, does the shifter feel loose or anything?

no

Ok, when I have had this happen in the past the issue is usually one of the pins that hold the shift fork on the hub for the gear. Since the car will move I do not think it's a problem with the clutch, but rather something inside the transmission has come loose and has it locked or is preventing you from moving it.

One external part you can check under the car. Along the transmission on the driver side is a knuckle that connects the shifter to the shift rod. Check and make sure the bushings haven't broken apart. If they have it could be keeping you from being able to actually shift.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you need more help with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician