Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

2009 Subaru forrester will not start. scanner shows $7E8 and

Customer Question

2009 Subaru forrester will not start. scanner shows $7E8 and $7E9
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Engine turns, occasionally fires but will not start. Not battery as far as I can tell
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. it is in an area not accessable to tow truck
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Before it died the automatic shifting did not work. it kept going higher gear to lower gear repeatedly over the course of seconds. I drove it for about 40 miles using the manual option, then it died and will not start. Trans fluid was just a bit low. Also the cruise control light was blinking and did not respond to turning the cruise control on or off
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

That is what they call a "generic" code. Some OBD11 or OBD2, "same thing", scanners will give a $7E8 and $7E9.
These are for a sub menu. Click on each one separately and you should or might get a regular "P0" code if your scanner
has the supported module.

If you can get the PO codes, I might be able to help you with this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will have to get back to you. The vehicle and my computer are miles apart
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Ok, sorry, I should be here until 7 PM eastern and then all day tomorrow or at least until 7