tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have a "2001" Subaru Outback Legacy LL Bean Edition. It

Customer Question

I have a "2001" Subaru Outback Legacy LL Bean Edition. It keeps blowing radiators. Could there be another reason other than the motor?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Automatic, about 220,000 miles
JA: What year is your Outback?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have replaced radiator twice and this last one has blown a leak. We cant fix it ourself and we need a cheaper alternative. I really LOVE my Subaru and would like to get it back on the road.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it, I think
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Hi,the most likely cause of the repeated failure is internally leaking head gaskets it's pretty common.Sorry but than the head gaskets I have not run into any repeat radiator failures.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can head gaskets be replaced without a motor replacement?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it POSSIBLE that it is a BLOCKAGE somewhere?
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

Hi,yes headgaskets can be replaced without a engine replacement but with this many miles it would be important to check all component carefully for damage.As for a blockage anything is possible but if there was a the coolant would not circulate do you have a problem with not getting any heat?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Heater does not get very warm
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

When coolant is filled and engine running are both heater hoses hot?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know, It has been sitting a month because the radiator sprung a leak.
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 months ago.

We need to replace the radiator again of course but before that remove both heater hoses and let water flow , you should see a strong stream of water coming out of other side of core this procedure is called back flushing, if water does not produce a strong stream the heater core is plugged.You can purchase a flushing agent a auto parts store that may free the clogging if not replacing will be necessary.