Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback (LL Bean model)Over 186,000

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback (LL Bean model)Over 186,000 miles but still runs great except I cannot trust it. It keeps acting like it is going to overheat, only has a few times, but I travel for work so it needs to be dependable. At first the mechanic thought it was a blown head gasket, but that does not appear to be the issue. Radiator has been replaced, 3 new thermostats; new sending unit to temp gauge; By pass of heater core to se if heater core bad---worked fine for approx 120 miles then guage started going up again. Though it did not overheat. But, just don't trust it. Mechanic is stumped.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: pressure tested and no leaks in system. Coolant only went down one time
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, had it to two mechanics, neither can figure out what is wrong. Put in new radiator; 3 new thermostats; new sending unit to temp guage. Bypassed heater core to see if heater core bad and car did ok until 120 miles and then guage started to go up but did not overheat.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I travel for my work. So need to be able to trust that car won't overheat.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hi I'm Kevin I'm almost certain this is a head gasket issue I've had many customers over the years with the same symptoms and almost all turned out to be head gasket failure .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You said almost all, what did you find the problem to be with those it was not?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

If it wasn't gasket it was thermostat or water pump but as these have. Already been done the head gasket is the most likely cause . Head gaskets as I'm sure your aware are a Subaru weakness

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Please rate my service