peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Very kind of you to ask. My Dad's Forester is making a high

Customer Question

Hi Kevin, very kind of you to ask. My Dad's Forester is making a high pitched whistle sound when accelerating. It's a 2003 model and he's only driven it lighly and has about 80,000 kms on the clock. He's had this problem for the last 6months but it's now getting very loud. Any suggestions are most appreciated. :-)
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: Oh, I see, it's Pearl, my apologies.... it's the original from 2003. I haven't thought to check the filters
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not fixing it myself, but my dad is 85 and I'm now stepping in to see if I can help him. I went to one mechanic and he said that it was most likely the gearbox and it would be an expensive repair. I'm not confident with this assessment so I thought I'd do some homework.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, it's really that simple, only whistles under acceleration, doesn't loose any power, just getting louder at this stage
Category: Subaru
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does this noise change pitch or go away when turning to one side or the other when driving?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Pete, It's very consistent, only whistles when accelerating, whether turning or not. Cheers, Mark

Does it also whistle in park or neutral when revving up the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good question, I've never noticed being an automatic but I can try that tomorrow. Let's assume it's only when moving forward under power for now. What would you suggest a common cause could be?

If it was only moving forward under power then the mechanic may be correct and this can be a bearing in the gear box that is failing with either the bearing needing replaced or the gearbox removed and inspected to see what all needs replaced.

If the noise does occur in park or neutral when revved up then this can be a pulley at fault with a pulley bearing failing or an issue with a vacuum leak on the engine needing inspected and repaired.One of these will cause this type of fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Pete, I'll check out the scenario of revving whilst idle and see if that suits. Overall, would expect this of a well kept car with under 80,000kms driven lightly and consistently so? Sounds like a big fault requiring big $$$ from what you're suggesting.

Your welcome

Unfortunately even at low miles and well kept bearings can fail in the transmission as they can fail prematurely unfortunately so this is possible even at this KM.It can be an expensive repair all depending on what is found to be at fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete