Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

The engine light is on, the cruise control won't engage, the

Customer Question

the engine light is on, the cruise control won't engage, the seatbelt ligh stays on. It runs well. This is a Subaru 2011, Outback Sport Wgn.
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: The cruise control willnot engage
JA: Are you fixing your Outback Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not attempted a fix. I'm trying to understan what the problem is.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I drove the car about 10n mile with no gas pap just prior to losing the cruise control. I don't this it's related.
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The traction control is also not working.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

When the check engine light comes on the cruise and traction control are automatically disabled. So, since you drove the car without the gas cap on it's likely you have an evap emission code causing the check engine light. Especially if the car is running fine. Once you put the cap back on, eventually the check engine light will go out. This will take a while because the car has to run a self test. The best thing you could really do here is put the cap on the have a parts store clear the code. This will reset all of the lights. The bigger chains like Autozone will do this type of work at no charge for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have more questions for me?