Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

2005 subaru legacy does not crank. starts on occasion.

Customer Question

2005 subaru legacy does not crank. starts on occasion. usually when engine is cool. Thinking it is the neutral safety switch. automatic transmission.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: 75000. original
JA: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: subaru dealer is backed up 3 weeks. Cleaned battery cables. battery is new. Daughters car. Called me to say it would not start. Drove to location. Started engine okay. Then Shut off, turned key off and then back on so I could shift from Park to neutral. Then it would not start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Starts fine when cool. Started works well.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
go ahead when ready
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Vehicle is not here. Still in shopping mall parking lot

Are you getting any codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have a code reader.

Try stopping by the local auto parts store and see if they can do a scan for you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. When done just report back today or tomorrow?

Yeah just whenever you can, if im not on ill get the message and send a reply when I get back online,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Scan reads P0335
Reads,
Crankshaft Position sensor A circuit Severity 2 of 3. Repair immediately if drivability issues are present. Threat to essential engine components if not repaired as soon as possible.Sounds fun

Hopefully its just a crankshaft sensor and not a timing problem, you say it does run though right and when it runs its ok?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When it runs it runs fine.

ok so next step is to do some tests with a multimeter and how are your electrical schematic reading and troubleshooting abilities? I can send you some flow charts?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not good. Was hoping to remove and replace a part. But I can find someone. We live in the country, so distance is a problem.

Just be super careful if your going to drive it if is a internal issue and it goes bad it could cause a ton of damage.

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Welll, can't get it going so tow truck is going to take it home. So next step is to get schematics and troubleshot for what fault?

We would check to see if the crank sensor was working properly to see if further engine diagnostics need to be done. after that we would have to take of the front to check the timing system for damage