Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

Had a misfire in cylinder 6 I have replaced all spark plugs

Customer Question
in all cylinders as well...
had a misfire in cylinder 6 I have replaced all spark plugs in all cylinders as well as the replaced the Ignition coil for cylinder 6. However it is still pulling a p0306 code on that cylinder. The car is also shaking and vibrating.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 144,000
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R
JA: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am, I have Just replaced the Spark plugs, and the ignition coil.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot think of anything else yet.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/17/2017
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 5 months ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,The next step is to rule out internals with a compression test,if this test is good my next step would be to swap injector to see if misfire follows,let me know what you want to do I'll be here to discuss further,thanks

I also noticed a loud clacking sound. When the engine fired up that was also not there before im under the impression this is due to the misfire in the cylinder. I also noticed when i looked at it further the coil in cylinder 6 felt like it had more play then the others so i don't know if the back fire did something to the cylinder as well (I hope not but you never know).
Considering i swapped the coil in cylinder 6 with a brand new coil and plug it still misfired and no other cylinders misfire what is this proving by swapping cylinders.?

Hi, my suggestion was to swap the injector,if you swap 6 with 4 and it misfires on 4 the injector would be the fault.Sorry if I wasn't clear.

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician