Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I am considering buying a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Spec. The

Customer Question
I am considering buying a...
I am considering buying a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B. The owner says the turbo blew/went out and he parked it. Does a blown turbo mean engine damage? If the engine has to be replaced, what is the approx cost versus just to replace the turbo? And will replacing the engine diminish the value of a Spec B?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Subaru
6/28/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer.

In most cases a blown turbo just means the turbo needs to be replaced. Sometimes you may have engine damage, I would make sure there is no extra upgrades or a bigger turbo, that could have caused engine damage for sure if the engine wasent built right to handle the horsepower.

Are you thinking about buying this ?

That would be great! How much is a new turbo for this model? Yes I am considering buying it. Good price. We looked at it but seller was not available to start it. He says it runs .... and it's completely stock. What should we look for to determine if any engine damage? Will it cause damage to the heads or overheating?
Please sleep. Answer in the morning is all good. Thank you.

The turbo alone is should be around 1500$ As far as engine damage you will know if it is burning any oil or making any noise, as long as its stock it should be ok right around 100k those engine start having head gasket issues and need a lot of attention, if it were me I would just do a fresh rebuild on it, you can get a remmanufactured long block for about 2000$ if you dont want to rebuild it yourself. And if its overheated before or in the the future that will definitely cause damage to the heads if not shut down in time, which almost always happens because no one notices until its to late

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician