EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

The radiator fluid is discharged through the reservoir

Customer Question

The radiator fluid is discharged through the reservoir instead of circulating back through the engine. The temperature is not elevating.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: About 85K. Water/coolant combination added back.... after driving a bit, the radiator is empty and the the rest is blowing out the reservoir.
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2009 outback
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We tried to add back coolant/water combination, and the same thing happened with one outing. That's really all so far. Checked fuses and they look okay.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Wondering if it is the water pump? What would be the symptoms if the pump has failed?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** have been a dealer tech for 20 years. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

When the coolant gets pushed back into the reseviour it could be from a failed radiator cap. Or also it could be from failed head gaskets. A water pump will not do that. With a failed water pump, coolant just sits in the system and does not get circulated. You would have an overheat concern. I would recommend replacing the radiator cap first.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 5 stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and do not work for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Thank you for viewing my previous response. Please let me know if you have made progress or need more info. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric