Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Automotive Technician with a Bachelors Degree in Automotive Technology
78075103

My 2000 GT was not driven for several months. The battery is

Customer Question

My 2000 GT was not driven for several months. The battery is dead so I jumped it and drove it for 10 miles. The whole time I drove it the horn honked even after I pulled the fuse(15amp in slot 14). The horn was weaker but it still honked. When I parked it I could not pull the key out of the ignition swithch. What the heck is going on? Thank you
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: The battery was new about 1 year ago.
JA: Are you fixing your GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: After I parked it I disconnected the battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car was broken into and they tried to steal it but couldnt due to battery. Perhaps they jimmied the ignition? Why cant I pull the key out of the ignition?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I think we have a couple of issues here. One is I am pretty sure the battery has sulfated by siting so long. I would recommend having the battery tested by a parts store or shop.

The second part of the issue is if there are no obvious signs of damage to the ignition switch, I would bet that there may have been so corrosion starting in the lock cylinder. I recommend squirting some dry lube into the lock cylinder to see if this will allow the key to release. https://www.grainger.com/product/16W547&AL!2966!3!166591268592!!!g!109227472197!?gclid=COfN15Hn9dMCFVC4wAodjvkKXA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166591268592!!!g!109227472197!&ef_id=WRurRgAABCd9-9Li:20170517014542:s

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about the constant horn honking while the car is running and when I turn off the engine? Remember I removed the fuse for the horn