Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I purchased 05 Outback xt was told has no power poss clogged

Customer Question
Hello Kevin I purchased 05...
Hello Kevin I purchased 05 Outback xt was told has no power poss clogged cat but they had no clue I towed home started car had rattle and smoked after running up to temp idling cel on for tumbler gen pass side replaced turbo and tumbler gen car went great for 7 miles put on another turbo didn't last long either replaced complete exhaust behind turbo back turbo # 3 now went for ride and turbo waz glowing like ready to melt could even see egt sensor like it waz in a glass pipe now no turbo yes its smoked but drives like car with no turbo no engine light and idles fine don't stall no smoke looked for intake leak with carb cleaner no leaks help me out please I love Subaru's but not this one new banjo bolt good oil pressure coolant system all good and was purchased with a new looking turbo recently mounted and cat down pipe I covered all areas let me know if u have any clue thanks troy
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Subaru
5/12/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

and its also worth trying loosening the fuel filler cap slightly as they have a 1 way valve built in to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum. if the valve is stuck the resulting vacuum can stall the fuel pump

Matt, Engineer