Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My steering wheel and key are frozen. fine, it's brand new…

My steering wheel and...

My steering wheel and key are frozen.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

Fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Subaru?

It's brand new 2017. It's the sedan.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sedan?

2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I couldn't get anything to budge. The gear shift wouldn't move, the key wouldn't move, the steering wheel wouldn't move. I came inside to see if I could find some solution before I called for roadside assistance.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had no trouble this morning on my way to work.

4/19/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Are the front wheels pointed straight ahead?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not in the car but I think so.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK

Sorry, I am unable to do a phone call at this time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you can't call, can you give me some advice on what to do about my car?

Make sure the wheels are pointed straight ahead and the steering wheel is pointed straight ahead. If not, then you have to really pull the steering wheel to the direction they are pointing and try to turn the key at the same time. Most of the time the problem is the steering lock is pressing up against the ignition switch so you can't turn the key. If you see this, you really have to muscle it, don't be afraid of breaking anything.
Try this before calling for help,
Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Sorry, takes a moment to type out the answer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The steering wheel won't budge at all. Any other ideas?

It's stuck on the lock I am sure of it. However, that's all I have. There's nothing else that should lock the steering wheel like that.
​Sorry, even if say, it's not in park or something, that won't cause the steering wheel to be locked.

Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Cary York
Phone call session started