Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

We replaced the power steering pump on a 2011 subaru impreza…

we replaced the power steering...
we replaced the power steering pump on a 2011 subaru impreza because it was noisey. the noise went away but now it is hard to steer at an idle. any ideas?
4/6/2017
Gunvir Singh

Did you bleed the system after installation ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
several times when you first start the car in the am we have power steering but after running for about 30 minutes when its warm on idle no power steering have noticed a very small leak in the rack

Ok, Did you bleed the system with engine running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tryed both ways

The proper way is to lift up front end and turn the steering both ways 10 times each. Then hold the steering to one end and start the vehicle. Make sure that the fluid level is goo before staring the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We performed the bleed procedure and the fluid level is good.

When the steering get hard, can you see the fluid circulating in the power steering reservoir?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we can see it flowing.

Did you buy the OE or aftermarket rebuilt?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Two after market so far.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
First after market just quit.

I have had a lot of issues with aftermarket on subarus. I would like to say that it could be the rack leak, sucking air inside when warms up but if that was the case it should be whining too. Since there is no noise it makes me think the problem is the pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are looking at an OEM pump now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will not have one until tomorrow now.
Ok. Keep me posted.

Hello, any updates?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We replaced the power steering again with a OEM pump and the steering is working correctly now. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome and please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh