Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My 2002 Outback's steering wheel is locked. The key won't…

Customer Question
Hi. My 2002 Outback's...

Hi. My 2002 Outback's steering wheel is locked. The key won't turn in the ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

Straight down or "in" toward the engine?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I just got back from a vacation. My friend who stayed here drove the car while I was gone. When I tried to drive it yesterday, i discovered the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its a 2002, 63,000 miles on it, just had oil change and "safety check"

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Subaru
3/8/2017
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 11 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Are the front wheels pointed straight ahead?

almost dead straight ahead. i just tried a different key; nothing different
I can't pay another $59 for phone call
or another $26

No problem on the phone call.

It sounds like the key is stuck against the steering lock. To solve this you will have to really give the steering wheel a hard pull one way or the other while you turn the key. Once you get the steering wheel of the lock, then you will be able to turn the key.

Don't be afraid to really give the wheel a good yank, you won't break it and trust me, one way it will move just enough, the other way it won't move at all.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Only thing that worked was tapping the key in gently while turning wheel. Got this advice from my regular Suby mechanic...for free.

Better get that key replaced..it's probably failing.

Sorry my help was of no use, please don't bother rating.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician