Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

Power steering fluid is bubbling out of the power steering

reservoir when I shut off...
Power steering fluid is bubbling out of the power steering reservoir when I shut off the car. 2003 Subaru outback 3.0 L engine L.L. Bean edition wagon. Please advise
2/10/2017
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

any leaks or noises or steering concerns?

I mean the power steering fluid is leaking out of the power steering reservoir where you pour the fluid and when I shut the engine off it's spilling back out of the system. And yes the power steering is whining like it sounds when it is dry or starving for fluid

thats all the signs of a failed pump.. pump replacement is going to be the fix

john -aka eauto
Hey John we install the new pump from Carquest and the pump is not working real good. The power steering is tight, it's still whining quite a bit. We are thinking we might have a bad pump? Any suggestions?

is it still pushing out fluid..?

No this time the steering wheel was really hard to turn so we replaced it again with a different remanufactured pump. Then we could turn the steering wheel but the pump was leaking from the middle of the seals so we got another pump and we're putting it on now this will be our third pump

oh wow...let me know

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto