Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have a 2010 legacy GT, for over six months I have been

I have a 2010...
I have a 2010 legacy GT, for over six months I have been getting a clicking noise under the hood when I turn only AFTER the car get warm(over 5 miles or driving) I went to 3 different Subaru dealers who have checked under the car and all have said it is NOT a cv axle related problem. Recently had a bearing put in. Had a inner CV leak(seal) fixed recently also. The 3 have checked after these jobs were done. Thought it was motor/tranny mounts, no go. My question is it possible when the seal was replaced that there was not enough axle grease put back in the boot?
1/27/2017
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

the cv boot kit comes with a bag of grease... was the old boot split and run dry?

Could not tell if it were run dry, mechanic put it on a lift and showed me a wet inner boot and said it was probably a seal. He changed the seal and the boot is no longer wet. Was not watching him to see what he was doing, its not allowed. Did not see a obvious split in the boot either.

was the boot replaced or just the axle seal?

Step by Step? I am no where near the vehicle right now
Just the seal, the boot appears to be okay, no rips or tears

do you know what they billed you for?

Labor and a seal
claims he put a quart of fluid in something, which I found odd, because I did no know the cv was connected to the gearbox

the cv is connected to the gear box...thats what turns it and puts power to the wheels...so it only clicks when driving when you take turns?

Take turns after the car warms up, honestly 3 Subaru dealers have checked this, only one has heard it. By the time the check it(45 min-hour) the car as cooled so it does not click. And they have all said it is not CV related
Not mount related either, possibly it should have been recalled

how often does it make this noise?

As soon as I drive over 5 miles, the longer the trip the louder the click, its been sitting right now over an hour, there would be no click if I just run down the street to the store

sounds like a cv joint to me...cant you get it warm and have the tech from subaru ride with you..so you can point it out.,, i always test drive noises with the customer if i do not hear it...

They are always so busy they claim..I drove the car in one time and they all heard it. Made an appt.
they checked it and said cv was fine
seems odd that cv joint would go after 70K

well its mechanical with bearings and grease...only other thing could be a strut bearing/mount

That was considered also, but that you would hear all the time, even with engine cold I am told

generally they click all the time...so on turns its either cv joint or a differential issue within the transmission...which is ultra rare

Had a new clutch and flywheel put in, hoping they would have noticed it

no way to notice because the transmission is not split open during a clutch replacement

I believe you that it is rare with tranny
Even if is the cv, why after extended driving, everyday, you figure the longer it goes the noise should increase over time, not just when it is warm

as the bearing gets hotter the noise gets louder

Still don't understand why these mechanics have not considered that, one even said this is common with all wheel drive ??!

so the noise started after 70,000 miles of ownership and he is stating its normal?

was this the one guy that duplicated the noise but could not pinpoint?

Actually alittle before 70k. and no this was a different guy. the one that heard it ended up changing the gear oil and wanted to do the ball joint, but I asked him if that was the noise problem and he responded "NO"

not sure how people can call a noise normal if they do not hear it...if its faint i do not think it will hurt anything...but it will likley get worse

It is not faint after extended driving, 20 miles or so
when they put the seal on the CV they could not tell that it was failing?

if its not faint its a problem...my best advice is have a good tech go for a ride with you so you can duplicate the noise....and know unless they disaasembled the boot and the joint or unless it was loose or binding but generally if the boot is intact thats as far as the tech goes..unless he is searching for a problem

john -aka eauto
I have got to find a good tech, which means I will have to go a distance for it. I am going to take that up with SOA ,NJ
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto