Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Last night lost power on the highway. the engine not

Customer Question

last night lost power on the highway. the engine not responding to pedal, but car was able to hobble along at around 10 mph. check engine light came on. had the car (a 2005 outback automatic transmission with about 115,000 miles) towed to a service station for an initial look today. any thoughts on what it might be, e.g. fuel pump or sensor failure, for example? Thanks. \jd
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: seems constant, pushing on the pedal gets no response; no pick up or acceleration.
JA: What year is your Station?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to a garage last night; might know this morning what the check engine light error code tells us
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Did not hear any strange sound or noise; loss of power just happened.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.

This sounds like the car went into failsafe mode. This is usually a result of something going on with the electronic throttle body or the pedal position sensor on the accelerator pedal. It goes into fail safe so the throttle can't stick in the wide open position since it's electronic. The code will likely back me up on it, but that is usually what happens when you enter fail safe.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!