sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I purchased a 2005 Legacy with 138,000 miles in late August.

Customer Question

I purchased a 2005 Legacy with 138,000 miles in late August.  The car always had a very light, intermittent shake that a Subaru owner friend described as a "Subaru shimmy."  About 1,000 miles in.   I got a P0302 code.  Since then,  the following work has been done: 1) new spark plugs and new spark plug wires, 2) new fuel injectors on bank 2, 3) cylinder 2 compression test ok, 4) coil pack tested ok.  The car ran fine until a week ago,  with the cylinder 2 misfire code sometimes reappearing intermittently,  and the same intermittent shaking.  I read that coil pack multi-meter tests aren't always totally accurate and considered changing the coil pack,  but the car was running well and with full power,  so I decided not to do anything until the problem became more than intermittent.   A week ago, I got a flashing check engine light and P0302 and P0304 codes.   The car was shaking considerably,  with less power, and seemed like it was on the verge of stalling in idle.  I'm currently not driving it.   Any ideas?  Not sure if the timing belt was ever changed; could this be a timing issue,  even though it's only on bank 2?  Thanks for your help.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that will cause misfires and it's going to require some testing to determine what is going on. It sounds as if these cylinders are completely dead, and if it happened suddenly then there is a good chance you're missing spark or fuel on those cylinders.

Have you checked for spark on cylinders 2 and 4?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
like i said, the misfire on 2 had been intermittent for about 3 months, but didn't effect performance much... only a slight shake in neutral sometimes. all 4 spark plugs and spark plug wires are less that 3 months old. both fuel injectors on bank 2 are less than 2 months old. the coil pack seems original, but tested ok with a multi-meter (which i've heard aren't always accurate). therefore, everything on the ignition end seems to check out, as did the compression on 2. that's what has me a little lost. also no lean mixture of air intake related codes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do i check that?

The best way would be with an adjustable spark tester.

https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-THE404-Spark-Tester/dp/B0002STSBM

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if there's no spark and the wires are new, should i look further into the coil?

Correct, the coil and drivers will need to be looked at next.