Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

2002 Subaru legacy 2.5 sohc it turned a rod bearing replaced

Customer Question

2002 Subaru legacy 2.5 sohc it turned a rod bearing replaced crankshaft new bearings and rings replaced valve seals it started right up idles fine runs fine then it started to smoke out exhaust started rechecking everything so I dropped the exhaust pipe and started it the engine isn't burning the oil I looked up in the head through the exhaust ports oil is coming out of the head on the inside and going into the exhaust causing it to smoke the engine was running when I did this the left is worst than the right the engine never overheated prior to this problem
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 9 months ago.

If you are leaking oil out the port, then you must have cut the valve guide seals when you installed them. Did you use the plastic sleeve over the valve tip when you installed the seals?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When you had the springs off, did any of the valves fell loose in the guides?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no

If you have to be manifold off and the engine not running, do you see oil leaking out the port?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no

Do you have good vacuum to the pcv system?