Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

I accidently drained the CVT fluid and then drove the

Customer Question

I accidently drained the CVT fluid and then drove the vehicle. Slippage stc, can the fluid just be replaced, what damage could I expect ?
JA: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it?
Customer: It was dark and it was the CVT fluid
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2014 forester non turbo
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was just trying to change the oil , actually I put oil in the right place but then all hell broke loose with all the warning lights on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I drove it about 8 miles alfter that
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mark G replied 8 months ago.

Good day. Sounds as if you emptied the trans and overfilled the oil. I won't kid you and say this is just a mistake and everything will be ok. While the trans still had fluid in it running dry at some points is not good. Plus the danger of hydra lock on the engine is pretty high also. Hopefully you towed it and not started it any more. Need to get Subaru trans fluid back in there. Drain the oil and refill with the correct amount. It is imperative that you don't start this any more until the situation has been rectified. I worked at a place where a tech did this very same thing. The drain plug is close to where you think the oil plug should be. The mistake was caught yet the customer felt the trans was altered and eventually got a new trans out of it.