Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My 2006 Legacy GT Limied 2.5L makes a whistling noise around

2000 rpm. The noise only...
My 2006 Legacy GT Limied 2.5L makes a whistling noise around 2000 rpm. The noise only happens when the car is moving, and around 2000 rpm. If I let off the gas the noise goes away, and if I give it more gas (2500+ rpm) the noise goes away. It is a high pitched whistling noise. Any suggestions on what the problem is and what a solution might be?
11/27/2016
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,can you please verify this to be turbo or non turbo first,thanks

It is a turbo

Thanks, ***** ***** all air intake hoses even a small leak can cause this whistle noise, in particular all hoses to and from intercooler and intake side of turbo

I was told that if that was the problem my check engine light would be on, is this true?

No,not necessarily, it really depends on the size of the leak it could cause a lean condition if big enough and your check engine light would be on but a small leak it normally wouldn't

I am unable to check the intake hoses because I dont have a lot of knowledge about cars, but I am planning on taking my car to a Subaru tech soon. How likely is it that the problem is with the intake hoses? Also how much would I be looking to pay to get this problem fixed?

I would say the hoses are the problem 90% of the time, if it's just a simple tightening job I'd say no more than $50, if replacement hoses are needed it could cost as much as 200-300

Thank you, ***** ***** a reason why this only happens around 2000 rpm? Also, how dangerous is driving in these conditions for my engine? I have a busy schedule and I might not be able to get my car to a Subaru tech by the end of the week.

Hard to say why only at 2000 it could be the proper load needed to create the leak, driving the vehicle will not cause any damage but at the same time drive vehicle gently because there is a problem you do not want to create more problems.

tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician