Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

The AT OIL Temp is blinking, 4 weeks ago, 2001 forester, not

Customer Question

the AT OIL Temp is blinking
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 4 weeks ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 2001 forester
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not myself, I have dealer fixed it but 4 months later it happens again
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: please connect me to subaru mechanic
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dealer said "computer controler needs to be replaced in order to fix already replaced rebuilt transmission to fix AT OIL Temp is blinking again".
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My cell(###) ###-####
Expert:  david craig replied 8 months ago.

Hi Im David, Ok, the light is flashing because there is a fault in the system, what needs to be done is to find out what corresponding code there is, the easiest way is to get a scanner that can read the transmission codes. until you can get the transmission codes there is nothing that can be done.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could computer controller burns the transmission?

no

you need to get the codes that are in the transmission control module. there isnt any sense of asking anything else. i dont guess.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I ask question now?

the codes need pulled fromthe transmission control module..... i will opt out and allow someone else guess.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Transmission was replaced 4 months ago, now they want to replace computer controller. Does this sound right?
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is***** actual AT temp needs to be confirmed if it is an actual temp problem or a faulty temp sensor or harness issue causing the fault and you will need to have a scan tool plugged in to get the fault codes logged which tells us what component or part of the circuit the fault is in. Make sure the oil cooler was flushed or replaced or it could contaminate the new transmission if they did not. Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know how to troubleshooting myself. Four month ago dealer replaced transmission and harness cable. Now Dealer says computer controller is bad. In order to fix AT OIL Temp blinking, they said computer controller needs to be replaced, otherwise will burn the replaced transmission. Does this sounds right?

thanks for the update. It is possible yes if the software or controller has an issue it could over time caus a failure. This is the last resort. I would hope they went through all the testing of the wiring and sensors to narrow it down to the controller and not a mechanical problem from not flushing the circuit and oil cooler when they replaced the transmission. I would look into that as a controller will not correct an actual overheat issue. If there is not true overheat issue then the controller can give a false message is there is a problem with it or the wiring or sensor. Let me know