Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My mechanic replaced tensioners and guides on my 2006 subaru

Hi. My mechanic replaced tensioners...
Hi. My mechanic replaced tensioners and guides on my 2006 subaru B9 tribeca with H6 3.0 engine and he did not replace the radiator fan before cranking the car. When he cranked it, the car started no problem but, he stated that it shut down and would NOT start back up. Could this be due to the ecu recognizing the fan was not there and does this automatically shut the car down with a no crank, no start issue?
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Yes spark plugs are firing. He also checked the fuel lines and pump and all is good too.
JA: Are you fixing your B9 Tribeca yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, since he left me hanging and now is. It completing the job, yes, I have to do it myself and don't feel as confident. But last night I went to the shop where it's at and took the dead battery out to go get charged and will put that back in today. Also I checked oil dipstick and oil is not marking at all. Additionally thinking it needed some, I begin to pour some in and realize that what I began to pour was oil mixed with water, so I plan to drop the oil out of it today as well. If I leave cap off will water evaporate once I open oil plug?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Additionally when I looked under the car, the plug had about a teardrop size oil leak from plug itself so I plan to get new washer for it.
10/18/2016
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
  • The PCM would not have shut the car down for no fan if it only ran briefly. It would need to overheat for the PCM to shut it down if the issue was even the fan. Are you looking to diagnose this yourself?

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris. Thanks for your reply. Since the car started before and after the timing tensioners and guides were replaced. Then shut off, the mechanic thinks the chain jumped. So we are taking timing cover off again and replacing the only things that were not changed, the timing chains. I had a patient (retired mechanic) tell me that even though Subaru dealer says the chains rarely ever stretch, that they do. So I decided to order them. About to start on the job today.

If I can help in any way, let me know how.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Yes. I am trying to still get the 6 hex bolts left on the timing cover and they Are unfortunately a bit stripped. Don't know if you have any tricks on getting those off another way. The mechanic that used his kit with his 5mm hex placed all of those timing bolts back in after sealing the cover the first time and now I don't want to proceed unless you can suggest some other options. Please.

There is a tool called a bolt out that can grip the head of the rounded bolt and twist it out. You can grind a channel across the bolt head and use a flat head bit ins a socket and ratchet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great ideas.Thank you. I will try this in the morning and I will let you know��

Super

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician