Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have a 2006 Outback with 175k miles. I am getting Er SS on

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2006...
Hi, I have a 2006 Outback with 175k miles. I am getting Er SS on the odometer and the ABS light is on. Is there a way to identify which speed sensor is faulty? I pulled the rear sensors to look for corrosion and rust.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: As in hand brake? No and no CEL
JA: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I added new brakes and rotors in July or August, but did not involve sensors. I have a cheap code reader but no error codes other than odometer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that the wires and connections look OK. I did not pull apart the connectors. thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/14/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Sorry to say, the only method to determine which sensor is sending the code is a scan tool that can either watch the wheel speeds or read the codes from the ABS control module. If you have a bad wheel bearing or can hear howling or growling it could be the cause of the code. This will change the air gap between the sensor and the tone ring and set the code. This is really about the only insight you can have without a scan tool.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I required to pay if no answer is available w/o a special SS code reader?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
isn't there a way so use a volt meter and check output when driving?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician