Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

It won't start. a mechanic said it was the fuel pump. so we

Customer Question
put a new pump in...
It won't start. a mechanic said it was the fuel pump. so we put a new pump in. Now he says The ECM may be bad
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: I just replaced it wih a new one
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 99 subaru forester
JA: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've had a mechanic look at it. a new fuel pump has been put in. Now we may need to put in a new ECM
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
10/13/2016
Subaru Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David. how did the mechanic determine it was the fuel pump? obviously he was wrong, but what made him think that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well he tried starting it with starter fluid to bypass the mass air flow intake sensor yet it won't start
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do you think it is

I cant tell you that until i find out a few things. first, when you turn the key to the run position,(not start) can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't hear anything. But the mechanic said he couldn't hear the fuel pump

ok. did he take the fuel pump relay out and jumper the relay base to see if the pump runs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No he didn't do that

thats the first thing he needs to do. that can eliminate the wiring to the pump if it runs when he does that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well he did say he can do that to get the car running but that won't be the right thing to do

i just want to make sure the wiring is ok. i didnt say we were going to keep the jumper in....

this mechanic is worrying me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
assuming the fuel pump runs when jumps it with a wire. what would be the next move

lets not assume anything and jump ahead. i dont work like that. one step at a time.

ill be back on in about 30 minutes. keep me updated

any update?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no updates. he hasn't worked on the car todaybasically i'm trying to see if his claim that i need a new ECM is valid

i understand, and there are test we need to do to determine that. just to jump to that conclusion without verification is no way to troubleshoot.

any update?

do you still need assistance?

Subaru Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer

i would look at the crank sensor before the ecm. if the crank sensor is bad you will have no spark so starting fluid will not work. you cant really hear subaru fuel pumps due to the location under the seat. i would take off the fuel feed line at the engine to verify that it works. i have seen very few as in i think two subaru ecms go bad

mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer