Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Noise around drivers side rear when backing. removed rear

Customer Question

noise around drivers side rear when backing. removed rear wheel and spun in neut. could not replacate the sqeaking noise i have a 1998 leg.out.station w.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: i am pretty much deaf to high noises my friends could hear it so no time line but at least 1 wk. i have been on some dirt roads lately also. possibly rear braKe or axle
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes , removed rear wheel, then in neutral turn axle both ways got no noise
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- did you rock the wheel up & down & left & right see if there was any movement from wheel bearing

2- Check the rear e brake system

3- if you went thru rough roads , get a couple cans of brake parts cleaner ,and spray down the whole rear area

4- inspect the drive shaft u - joint for any play in them

5- inspect the cv axle ,look around the cv rubber boot for any grease coming out

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I CHECKED ALL AND CLEANED LEFT BRAKE REAR AND AJ. THE HAND BRAKE. I TESTED AGAIN SOUND ONLY DRIVING IN REV. NOT SURE WHERE SOUND COMES FROM, IT'S A RYTHM. SQEAKING NOT LOUD.

well i cant hear it, so i will opt out

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. wHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE BRAKES WERE SERVICED PROPERLY? i DON'T MEAN JUST SPRAYED DOWN WITH BRAKE CLEAN BUT TAKEN APART AND PROPERLY CLEANED AND LUBED?