Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I'' Costel and I have a 2015 STI. My car's issue is a

Customer Question
Hello. I'' Costel and I...
Hello. I'' Costel and I have a 2015 STI.
My car's issue is a popping (metallic crackling or click) noise when brake and sometimes clutch pressed(even when I only touch it!), noise coming from pedal assembly area or deeped inside. If the car is stationary there is no noise.
Subaru tech acknowledged the noise and installed "new insulating tape attaching to the break booster leaver assembly". But after this "fix", while driving back home the same noises showed within few miles drive.
I returned to them, this time they scheduled me when a "field tech" was present. He concluded that the clank/click type noise is normal and due to "the drive shaft preliad winding down while coming to stop under light deceleration. No repairs needed."
I guess it is hard to diagnostic over email, but maybe I can get useful hint. Thank you a million.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
10/1/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

The field service rep works with engineers on new problems and will know if there are other people complaining with the same problem. Then they come up with TSB's if needed. I would let the field rep take a look at it.

You are right this is hard to diag over the net without being there to test drive it. I am a dealer tech and have not heard of others complaining about this problem yet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dan, but I said the field rep looked at car, I gave you his response. I was asking if his response makes sense. Because it doesn't make sense to me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dan, are you a mechanic?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The field tech told repair manager of the deslership that 50% of the STIs has this noise....

I misunderstood your question I was thinking you were waiting to be scheduled to see the field rep. The only thing I could suggest is taking it to another dealer for a second opinion.

Some of the original question got cut off. But I can see it now, had to restart my PC.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had this once happened, at other dealer already replaced the pedal assembly. After that all was ok...for few months. Then the noise came again. This time went to another dealership, and now is when they asked the field tech.
I have a general question: if I go to other dealership, do they have access to previous reports from other dealerships I went in the past?

Yes. They have access to the service records.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought so. Because first they replaced the pedal assembly and didn't solve the issue, now they're just denay there is an issue. It's easier. It's what I think. How this works, at dealership? If there is an issue, could be any reason to denay there is an issue ? Caris under warranty of Subaru

Yes because they don't want to work on it if there is not going to be a for sure fix. They have to pay for the parts and pay the techs labor and this costs Subaru money, they want to only spend the money if they can verify the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But if they know what's the issue and if under warranty, then should be no reason for dealership to repair it, right?
Last Q: can I take it to an independent Subaru tech(not dealer), and diagnostic the issue? Will Subaru take into account the diagnosis from other Subaru tech/shop (other than Subaru dealer).

No you have to bring it to an official Subaru dealer for warranty repairs. It sounds like they are saying the noise is normal and not recognizing there is a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
first they try to fix it(see previous messages to you), first replaced pedal assembly, the other dealer mounted "insulating tape" ... Only now they say it is normal.
What's my best next move to have this solved, from your experience?

The problem may have to get worse before it gets better.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finally, let's say I want to replace again the pedal assembly at other mechanic, not dealer, at my own expense, will this void the warranty of the car?
Not if an oem part is used.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Super! This is very helpful. Let's say I use OEM part at a Subaru mechanic specialist (but not dealer) and this solve the issue. Can I ask Subaru of America to reimburse me? ;)
They won't cover it unless it's done at the dealer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A different Q on accessory: if install an OEM Subaru part (strut tower brace),
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-OEM-SPT-Front-Strut-Tower-Brace-SOA8431130-/111191468583
Will this void the warranty?Thank you Dan, have a great week end.Costel

No that will not void warranty. Its just a strut tower brace.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks,

Dan, ASE Certified Technician