Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I'm proud to say" I am a Subaru owner", 204,419 miles n from

Customer Question

I'm proud to say " I am a Subaru owner", 204,419 miles n from what I hear its only just begun.
97 subaru legacy gt wagon, makes a high referee whistle when high acceleration getting on the highway. I feel i have narrowed it down to the crank shaft. Please tell me this isn't bad and i can fix it. Tried belt conditioner, wasn't the problem. Changed the oil, seemed to have helped verylittle. My boxer does guzzle lots of oil. I change every 3000 miles.
Please help,
Quick learner n Mr. Fix it guy
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you.you may have an alternator starting to act up one of two things you can do to eliminate it , have an AVR test done on the charging circuit or if you can remove the alternator belt to road test it and see if the noise is still there..Try that and let me know what happens? hope that helps and if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Out of all the people I've asked about this NO ONE said alternator belt. Hopfully I'm not getting the " check the blinker fluid. Or the tire oil is off", did i mention the noise only occurs at high rpm's? Also behind the crankshaft wheel, its rubbing on plastic motor cover? Build up of plastic shards would sit on little ledge behind crank shaft wheel. Apologies for improper naming of parts if so. Also honestly $25 a question i feel is not steep but ridiculous.
Please as a Subaru mechanic to stuggling subaru owner. Also would like to apologize for sarcastic n rude comments.
Just trying to make a living, need transportation.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
R U ***********, 25 PhUnkIN dollars for 1, I REPEAT ONE *********** question. Plus still waiting on a response.
SATISFIED? *********** FOR THOSE *********** , ENGLISH, *********** . I dont *********** , just to *********** say alternator belt, or give at least an assumption of something else. The dog you hit, didn't hit a dog, or the old lady you ran over had to many batteries, would never run over an old lady. *********** , I'm pretty sure that's universal. I get it*********** bread crumbs, don't give him the whole loaf of bread, just a little at a time. "Please sir, may i have some more". *********** , checked my blinker fluid and you were right, it's full. *********** . BOY OH BOY I HOPE SOME *********** S *********** , because guess what? Reviews is like a virus. It spreads n spreads until all is MIA.
(Not a threat of any kind). As we say in America, "*********** k". *********** and the ***********
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ha please if that doesn't get a response i don't know what will.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anybody watch *********** (No offence to the show) but that *********** That's right, Alex is waiting for a response. Tic toc tic toc, for those *********** , ***********
THANK YOU VERY MUCH & And *********** .

We don't set the rates so don't shoot the messenger I'm just here to help. If you saw plastic pieces coming from the back of the crank pulley way didn't you state that? would have helped, the alternator will make that noise you described when a diode is shot , it tries to over work and wines at higher RPMS to try and charge. did you do as I mentioned to eliminate it or just assume it is the crank shaft wouldn't hurt to remove the crank pulley and check what damage has been done there if you see plastic pieces there. As it is we don't have the benefit of being there to actually get our heads in there to see all those things so we rely on any and all info you can relate to us to help.