George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

No spark. looking to see where the crank sensor is. Replaced

Customer Question

no spark. looking to see where the crank sensor is . Replaced coil pack . 2202 forester
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: no. it quit running on the interstate and towed it home.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: coil pack
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just need to verify where the crank sensor is
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help.

This is a 2002 forester with the 2.5L engine?

The crank sensor is on top of the crankshaft pulley in the center front of the engine. The cam sensor is to the driver's side of that on top of the cam sprocket on the front of the enigne.

I will get you a diagram of the location if you can confirm the year and engine size.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002 forester. 2.5 engine. What other issues could this be.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Good, click here for location

Other issues could be a failed computer or the belt has slipped.

How long since the belt was replaced and was the tensioner replaced at the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30k miles ago and I'm not sure on the tensioner. I'm hoping it isn't the ecm but this thing just quit on the on ramp of the interstate.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, without spark then I would replace the crank and cam sensors, they are less than $50 for the pair.

You should check the belt timing as well to see if everything lines up. Not knowing about the tensioner you may have skipped some teeth.

let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both sensors? I did purchase a cam sensor and coil pack which is going vack. Lol I never installed it just connected the wires and put an alligator clip to ground to be sure. So next question I guess is how hard are they to replace. Just had back surgery and can't crawl around too much.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Pull out the 10mm bolt and wiggle the sensor out of the bore. You will have to bend over the top of the engine bay but nothing underneath. Everything is on top here.

If somone use the coil pack as a hand rest then I would not send it back. That can kill a coil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice. Thanks for all Ur help I appreciate it. I just need to locate them and do it. Let me know if I can give you a review.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Glad to help

YOu can rate this at any time and continue after the rating if you have further questions

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I'm going back 1 thread. I put a new coil on top of the old one and attached a ground clip. Is the crank sensor easy to replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did u send the diagram of the sensor locations?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just scroll up to where I said "click here for sensor locations"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep got it sorry thanks.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, glad you found it.