Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

The a/c is not working. it failed a few years ago

Customer Question

The a/c is not working. it failed a few years ago corresponding with a loud screeching noise. I am thinking about fixing it but only if the costs are not too high. it is a 2006 baja
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: it only happened once. the a/c worked prior to the noise and did not afterward. It occurred while moving at constant speed. (55-60mph)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. I don't think I can fix it myself. My main question is whether the system can be diagnosed before sinking money into a fix
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The sound lasted about 4-5 seconds. it stopped abruptly. It was very loud.
Category: Subaru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Part of what I want to know is what are the possibilities of failure and associated costs to fix
Expert:  Ronnie replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with this.

Was the Ac on and running when you noticed this screeching noise?