Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

2000 outback dash lights flickered then died, battery is

Customer Question
dead, jump start it runs...
2000 outback dash lights flickered then died, battery is dead, jump start it runs for 5 secs. then dies. Thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
7/25/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Have you checked what the voltage is at the battery with a voltmeter while it runs for this 5 seconds? It sounds like the alternator to me. That is usually what these symptoms point to. It runs fine as long as you keep the jumper cables on it correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not left the cables on that long
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could there be other possibilities.

Alright, go ahead and leave the cables on it for 20 seconds or so, and see if it continues to run and then while it's running pull the neg. cable off the battery, if it dies right away, then it's not charging. and usually that means the alternator has failed.

Do you know if this is the original alternator on the vehicle or not?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure of the age of the alternator, it belongs to my daughter, but I will try what you have suggested and let you know tomorrow tks Edward regards Tom

Absolutely, Thank you, let me know what happens.

Any further questions for me Tom? Was the alternator the culprit? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Edward- I had to go out of town for a few days.
Let it run with jumper cables 2 mins. After that I pulled the neg cable and it died within 30 secs.
Haven't had a chance to poke around with it since! Will pick up a new alternator next week and let you know!
Tom

Alright, it definitely sounds like it's not charging. Good luck with it.

Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.