Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

How to open a stuck drivers door on a 2005 subaru outback?

Customer Question
The electronics seem to work...
How to open a stuck drivers door on a 2005 subaru outback? The electronics seem to work but the lock is mechanically not able to fully move to the unlocked position. It gets almost there, then springs back to locked. This happens when using the electronic, when manually moving the lock lever from the inside, and when using the key. Always the same exact movement. The door will not open. If I could get the door open, I could take apart the door and fix it. The problem is the door is shut.
When I turn the key in the drivers door, this unlocks only the trunk. From there, I can reach through and manually unlock the doors on the passenger side.
This problem developed about a week ago. About 2 months ago, the rear passenger door developed a similar problem, but intermittently- once a week or so, it would open, then it would be stuck again. I didn't fix it because I was living away from home and it wasn't much of a problem. Now the drivers door is doing a similar thing but is always stuck shut, which does not allow me to fix it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/24/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

You will most likely need to replace the door latch and lock actuator assembly.

Here is the procedure for removal.

Please reply to this if you need more help. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You did not understand the question. The question is HOW TO OPEN THE DOOR WHICH IS STUCK SHUT. I know what to do once the door is opened. The door is stuck shut.

Probably going to have to take the door panel off while the door is closed. You may need to unbolt the drivers seat and move it into the back seat. If you can get the window down all the way, there are lock out tools that can be used to open the door.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician