Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

2005 outback LL Bean. Air conditioning stopped working a

Customer Question
2005 outback LL Bean....
2005 outback LL Bean. Air conditioning stopped working a couple weeks ago and now the car has a loud rattle that's intermittent. Sometimes it gets worse if you step on the gas hard and sometimes it doesn't do it at all. It's progressively getting worse over the last few days. It always rattles when you first start it now. If I open the hood it sounds like it's coming from one of the pulleys. Can a A/C compressor make that noise or do you think the 2 items aren't related?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
7/14/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Two separate issues. The rattle noise you hear are the heat shields. The rear cat shields are prone to cause this type of rattle. You will need to replace them to correct the problem.

The ac could have a leak causing the freon to go low, this will prevent the compressor from coming on causing the ac not to blow cold. You would need to evac and recharge the system and test to see if system holds a vacuum. They will the recharge and add dye, drive for awhile, then check for leaks with a UV light. Once the leak is located, you can then replace the part and recharge again.

If you need more help, we can continue this conversation. If not, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars. Please let me know why and how I can help you more. Thanks Dan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rear cat shields is catalytic converter shield? Also I checked the pressure on the low side and it pegs the gage, so it won't take any freon. Is there something else I can check or do I have to take it to a shop? I'm a builder not mechanic, but I have always worked on my own cars.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also if I let the pressure down on the low side, it just climbs right back up.

Is your compressor turning when the ac is on? I do not trust the gauges that are on the can. You really need a set of high and low side gauges to diagnose. Are the lines cold leading to the evaporator core?

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means it’s no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and what I can do to help you more. I do not get compensated for my time unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan

Dan, ASE Certified Technician