Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

A couple of weeks ago our 2012 Subaru Outback had the brake

Customer Question

A couple of weeks ago our 2012 Subaru Outback had the brake light warning, check engine light and cruise control lights started flashing at once. We were near a service station, where another 2012 Subaru Outback was parked with the identical problem. The mechanic had another one in the previous week that fried it's engine. He did a reset and we were able to drive the additional 300 miles home. The next day our dealer ran a diagnostic and no errors showed. They said because the reset erased all. We paid the $150 for the test. (We had checked the gas cap and it was TIGHT) The last 3 days the cruise control and dashboard lights go off when we go under a bridge and the auto setting lights come on. If we use the dashboard dimmer, the auto light settings come on. If we adjust the auto light settings to ON or OFF, the cruise control and dashboard lights go off.
JA: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?
Customer: We bought this used a couple of months ago and I'm not sure what size engine we have. I have a VIN # ***** could provide. I'm 68 years young and don't know how to check the fuses. Thinking I should bring it back to the dealer, perhaps. We are moving from Colorado Springs, CO to St Johns, AZ on Tuesday and I'd planned on towing a trailer behind it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have a bumper to bumper warranty, so I'd prefer to get it fixed by a professional, but I'd like to be armed with what Might be wrong and it needs to be fixed ASAP.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what the code was that was stored the first time it was checked at the service station?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it was erased when the mechanic at a 66 station reset it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wasn't able to read the code. The dealer the next day said it had been erased
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Most likely it was an evap leak, which deals with emissions. Should be safe to drive either way, you could disconnect the negative and positive battery cables, hold them together for a few minutes and reconnect to battery, that would also reset the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hard for me to help you diagnose without the codes. You will need to wait until the lights come back on and then bring to the dealer.