Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

2006 Subaru Forester. A/C not functioning well. In 2015,

Customer Question
when I bought it, AC...
2006 Subaru Forester. A/C not functioning well. In 2015, when I bought it, AC was dead. NAPA garage said system was empty. They added dye but could not find a leak. Said with correct fluid level it was now working, but could not say for how long. It worked all summer.
BUT, it began squealing so loudly it was deafening at the front of the car. ALSO the AC was cycling off and on, every 20 seconds or so. Some suggested belt tension, some suggested AC clutch. Local garage tightened the belt, and I added little wire spacers to the clutch as a stop-gap measure. But it pretty much worked all last year.
Now this year, AC cycles off and on every few seconds. When I bought a can of refrigerant, NAPA store did not have the correct gauge for this car, so counterman did it himself with his gauge. Tried to get a good reading, but finally gave up, saying something needs to be fixed.
Symptoms right now: AC cycles off and on every few seconds, sometimes causing the squeal. Can't tell if it is clutch or belt. Driving down the road, the car continually lurches as the AC kicks in and out. I do not have the gauge, so can’t answer a question about pressure, but apparently this problem goes beyond that, anyway.
I don’t know anything about the condenser or expansion valve. Could that be a problem? And why does ‘the system’ have so much resistance that it causes the car to lurch or the belt/clutch to squeal?
Ideas?
Peter
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
6/18/2016
Subaru Mechanic: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

if its cycling on and off its low on refrigerant...first step is to read pressures or top it off

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Waiting for you. Did you get my reply?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Are you there?

u there

Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.