Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My '05 wrx sti. 130k. Suddenly every time I stop and start

Customer Question
Hi my '05 wrx sti...
Hi my '05 wrx sti. 130k. Suddenly every time I stop for gas and start the engine after fueling , it will not start right up , it turns over for about 7-10 seconds then acsputer start u and and then runs fine it only happens after refueling , and check engine came on the furtive to happened . I had it diagnosed to be fuel pressure , and I replaced gas cap , no fix , I should I get a better cap , the per at diog sous said that its probabsbku a washer or ring I want to know what it is and how to fix it I figure you guys would know exactly base on the delayed start up only after refueling , please help I need to get that eng light out
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/8/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

if the fuel pressure is taking its time to build up to 3Bar I'd next suggest to replace the fuel filter as if its clogged up then this will choke the pump

it might also be worth trying removing the gas cap entirely just to test how it starts up then

as this will eliminate the cap as a the issue or not

also

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could notbe running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Subaru Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that certain 2005~2008 Forester and 2005~2007 Impreza models require permanent removal of the one-way fuel valve located in the fuel tank. The one-way fuel valve is located at the base of a small sub-chamber contained in the fuel tank. When the tank’s fuel level drops below 1½ gallons, the sub-chamber is intended to provide a fuel reserve for the fuel pump during vehicle cornering. However, the one-way valve may inadvertently act in such a way as to prevent fuel from refilling the sub-chamber, failing to provide the intended reserve. If this were to happen, the fuel pump could momentarily draw air causing the engine to experience a sporadic misfire condition resulting in possible damage to the vehicle’s catalytic converter. (The “Check Engine” light will illuminate alerting the driver that the catalytic converter efficiency has degraded beyond an acceptable level and may be releasing air pollutants that exceed emission standards.) This Service Program will involve permanently removing the one-way valve located in the fuel tank.

Has this recall been done?

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Please rate this answer when you have time, thanks!

Dan, ASE Certified Technician